By Dr. Lynnā McPhatter-Harris
As we step into February, we embark on a month-long journey of reflection, celebration, and acknowledgment. Black History Month serves as a poignant reminder of the invaluable contributions, resilience, and enduring legacy of African Americans throughout history. At East Bay Children’s Law Offices, we are committed to embracing diversity and recognizing the richness of our clients’ and families’ backgrounds.
Black History Month holds profound significance for us as an organization dedicated to serving children and families from diverse cultural backgrounds. It is a time for us to reaffirm our commitment to fostering an inclusive environment where all individuals are respected, valued, and supported.
As we celebrate Black History Month, we invite members of our community to join us in honoring this important occasion. Here are a few local events:
- African American Textile Art Panel Discussion:10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Feb. 24, Hayward Public Library, 888 C St., Hayward. Hear a discussion on the art of African American quilts in commemoration of Black History Month’s theme of African Americans and the Arts. Free. bit.ly/BHMtextiles
- Black History Month at MoAD:Throughout February, Museum of the African Disapora, 685 Mission St., San Francisco. moadsf.org/events
- Black Joy Parade:12:30 p.m. Feb. 25, 14th Street and Franklin Street, Oakland. blackjoyparade.org/events
- Celebrating Black History Walks:10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in February, Thurgood Marshall Regional Park, Concord ebparks.org/celebrating-90-years
- Oakland Museum of California has an exhibit as part of the Gallery of California History about the Black Power Black Power – Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) (museumca.org)
By coming together to celebrate Black History Month, we reaffirm our commitment to creating a more equitable and inclusive society for all. Let us use this month as an opportunity to learn, grow, and strengthen our bonds as a community.
We look forward to commemorating Black History Month with you and continuing our shared journey towards diversity, equity, and empowerment.