Your Relationships

You have the right…

  • To contact your family members, unless prohibited by court order, and your social workers, attorneys, foster youth advocates and supporters, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs), and probation officers.
  • To visit and contact your brothers and sisters, unless prohibited by court order.
  • To have social contacts with people outside of the foster care system, including teachers, church members, mentors, and your friends.
  • To keep in contact with members of your tribe and tribal community.

For more information about your rights to maintain your relationships with siblings:








Your Plans for
the Future

Your Sexual Orientation,
Gender Identity & Expression (SOGIE)

Do you feel your rights as a foster youth have been violated?

Do you feel your rights as a foster youth have been violated? If so, you also have the right to contact the Community Care Licensing Division of the State Department of Social Services or the State Foster Care Ombudsperson regarding any violations of your rights. You can speak to representatives of these offices confidentially, and have a right to be free from threats or punishment for making complaints.

To make a complaint with Community Care Licensing, email or call 1-844-538-8766. You can also visit the website at

To contact or make a complaint with the Foster Care Ombudsperson, email, call 1-877-846-1602, or visit their website at

Additional Links

High School Graduation

EBCLO’s Education Advocacy Program assists youth in achieving their high school completion goals. This page provides details about the program and resources.

Transitional Age Youth (TAY)

EBCLO works with many TAY, and we’ve compiled tips for young people who are participating in extended foster care or want to return to extended foster care. 


EBCLO’s Education Advocacy Program works to help youth succeed in school.