The mission of the East Bay Children’s Law Offices, Inc., is to protect and defend the rights of children and youth through effective, vigorous and compassionate legal advocacy. EBCLO strives to provide a voice for children in and out of court and to promote positive outcomes for them.Who We Are:
East Bay Children’s Law Offices (EBCLO) was founded in 2009 to represent children and youth in the juvenile dependency court. Since that time, EBCLO's program has expanded to include the representation of children in other courts where children need lawyers. Committed to the need for high quality legal advocacy for children, EBCLO's multi-disciplinary team of attorneys and social workers take a holistic approach to providing our young clients with a voice in the decisions affecting their lives both in and out of court.
- Dependency Advocacy Program: Our primary function is the legal representation of children and youth at every Juvenile Dependency proceeding from detention through permanency. Within the court process, we identify and request services for our clients, including advocating for their educational, developmental, physical and mental health needs. We also establish and maintain relationships with our clients so that we, too, can be another stable adult figure in their lives.
- AB12 Project: EBCLO's law fellow specializes in navigating California's extended foster care program by assisting current non-minor dependents and 18-20 year olds seeking re-entry into the foster care system. While these older clients require some of the same advocacy as younger clients, they are also facing adult decisions and striving to achieve complete independence outside of the foster care system. EBCLO's AB12 Project is a major component of the safety net created by the new law.
- Probate Guardianship Counsel for Children Program: At the request of the Court, EBCLO also accepts appointment to represent children in Probate Guardianship proceedings. The EBCLO team assesses the appropriateness of the guardianship as well as assists the families in obtaining necessary community based services.
- Juvenile Defender Office: In partnership with the Alameda County Bar Association and East Bay Community Law Center, EBCLO provides its signature holistic representation to youth in Juvenile Delinquency Court charged with misdemeanors for whom the Alameda County Public Defender has declared a conflict of interest.
- Education Advocacy Program: Outside of the courtroom, EBCLO’s expertise in special education and school discipline matters is provided to all EBCLO clients regardless of which court proceedings brought the youth to us. The Education Advocacy Program promotes school stability, the provision of appropriate educational and school related mental health services, the training of other adult educational rights holders and the achievement of academic success for all children in all areas.